Tag Archives: joomla

JoomlaDay Greece 2013

JoomlaDay Greece 2013

Το JoomlaDay Greece, το επίσημο event για την κοινότητα του Joomla!® στην Ελλάδα, έρχεται για 3η χρονιά! Μετά την επιτυχία των δύο πρώτων διοργανώσεων το 2011 και το 2012, φέτος διευρύνουμε τη θεματολογία των παρουσιάσεων και workshops εντός και εκτός Joomla!, καλύπτοντας θέματα τεχνικά και μη. Από το Joomla! και σύγχρονες web design τεχνικές (responsive web) και από Firefox OS mobile app development ή web typography έως τρόπους για να δουλεύουμε καλύτερα στην καθημερινότητά μας.

Στο JoomlaDay Greece 2013, οι φίλοι του Joomla!® και του ευρύτερου web, από τους πλέον αρχάριους μέχρι τους πιο προχωρημένους θα έχουν την ευκαιρία να βρεθούν μαζί, να ενημερωθούν και να ανταλλάξουν απόψεις για όλα όσα απασχολούν την κοινότητα του σύγχρονου (και πλέον, απαιτητικού) web design & web development.

Joomla/Mambo – PDF Indexer Module

PDF Indexer

Allow PDFs to be searched via the Joomla/Mambo search module.

This Joomla/Mambo Component allows you to index PDFs located within your Joomla directory and the corresponding mosbot allows that index to be searched using the Joomla search component. This allows the text of PDFs to be viewed when searching a Joomla site.

Version 2.4

New Features:
* Joomla 1.5 legacy support
* More bug fixes

Also Featuring:
* Indexes new pdfs only so indexing is much faster.
* PDF file version changes.  It will automatically detect if a PDF has changed and index it on the next pass.
* Delete indexes to PDFs that have been removed from your file structure.
* Password Protected PDF indexing!
* Ability to edit past indexes (For those image based pdfs, add keywords, phrases)
* Improved MosBot
* Other Various Bug Fixes

Does not work on servers in SafeMode or when Popen is off.

Great work! Really!
But i run into a big problem…

I have tested PDF Indexer with Joomla 1.5 and works PERFECT with “small” pdf files.
With “Small” pdf files I mean up to 1 MB.
When I tried a “bigger” pdf file like 10 MB or even worst 40MB or 80MB, although it seemed that it was working (that is, no errors found) when I tried to see it in “Modify Indexes” from the Administration Menu… it wasn’t there.
🙁

Solution:

1. Edit the file…
/administrator/components/com_file_index/admin.file_index.php

Lines 366,445:
Change this…
$contents .= fread($handle2, 8192);
to this…
$contents .= fread($handle2, $fileSize);

then add the following line…
ini_set("memory_limit","128M");
in the first lines of the file.

Alternative: If you have access, change the memory_limit = 32M to  memory_limit = 128M in your /etc/php.ini file. Restart apache !!!

2. Edit the file…
/etc/my.cnf
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=xM
where xM the needed MB (for example 5MB)!

Fire up phpMyAdmin or open your favorite MySQL Manager.
Go to the Joomla DATABASE and in the TABLE that stores the data for indexing edit the FIELD Description to LONGTEXT.
Restart mysql !!!

That’s all!

The results were great. In a few seconds a 78MB pdf file was indexed !
😉